Stabilizing / freezing juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joer189

Reaction score
New to cider, longtime beer brewer,

Has anyone ever frozen fresh squeezed non pasturized/additive cider to ferment later? OR What about adding potassium metabisulfite to stabilize, then keep in fridge a few weeks until my fermenters free up?

I've never frozen my juice for my ciders before I just use metabisulfite. If you seal the container after adding the metabisulfite you shouldn't have a problem. But I might add more sulfite before using in case something got into the container while in the fridge.

I would splurge 10$ and get a bucket

campden kills bacteria but only knocks down yeast, it will wake back up and start fermenting again, couple that with "a few weeks" and itll probably be fermenting already

I was figuring shocked yeast, at fridge temps, re-fermentation would be unlikely... but agreed pony up for another fermentor.

I was thinking along the lines of how expensive fresh pressed cider usually is, so picking up a bucket to make sure its not ruined is a pretty low cost thing to do

Back