Question About My Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geebert74

Reaction score
Ok, well this was my first batch of beer where I did not use a coopers malt kit or some other kind of kit. So I am still trying to figure somethings out.

So after I made the wort and chilled it down a bit, I pitched the yeast and let it sit in the glass carboy. I put the airlock on it and put the heat ring around the carboy and let it sit. So I wake up the next morning and with all the other kits I have used in the past I would see the yeast fermenting the beer. I did not have anything happen in the case. So I was thinking that maybe my thermometer was off and the wort was too hot when adding the yeast and I killed it all. So I went out and got more yeast. I pitched it again sitrred it up and went to bed again. I woke up the next morning, a BOOM the airlock bursted off and I had it coming out all over the place.

So before I knew about this place, I contacted my uncle. I told him that I had the beer in a carboy and he told me to get it out of there and put it in the bucket. I asked if I should add everyting foam and all? He said yes.

So I sanitized it and put it in there and added about 1/4 cup of sugar to have the yeast still have something to eat. But my bucket does not have a lid on it. I took seran wrap and a rubberband and covered it. Since then, I have not seen much fermentation happen.

So I guess my question to you all is this:

Even though I cannot see anything happening, is the wort still fermenting or do I need to add yeast one more time?

Am I still going to have a quality beer on my hands or have I disturbed things too much for any good result?

Thanks in advance,

~Tony

Even though I cannot see anything happening, is the wort still fermenting or do I need to add yeast one more time?

Definitely not. You have plenty in there. Fermentation can take about 5-76 hours to get going. Also, don't determine fermentation based off of bubbling. A lot of fermentation shows no signs whatsoever. The best way to determine your yeasties have finished the job is to take a gravity reading every 3 days or so. When the gravity stops going down your probably finished.

I contacted my uncle. I told him that I had the beer in a carboy and he told me to get it out of there and put it in the bucket. I asked if I should add everyting foam and all? He said yes.

Next time this happens I think it would be easier to put a blow off tube in the carboy or better yet just startout with one.

Also...What kind of sugar did you add? Just regular sugar? The reason I ask is because just plain old table sugar is going to impart a harsh alcohol taste. Plus, you don't need to worry about adding more fermentables after you start fermentation. The sugar that the yeasties need is still in solution.

Did you pour into the bucket or siphon into the bucket?

Am I still going to have a quality beer on my hands or have I disturbed things too much for any good result?

You made beer:) but, it's up to you if it's a good result. You might have a hot alcohol taste.

RDWHAHB:D

Definitely not. You have plenty in there. Fermentation can take about 5-76 hours to get going. Also, don't determine fermentation based off of bubbling. A lot of fermentation shows no signs whatsoever. The best way to determine your yeasties have finished the job is to take a gravity reading every 3 days or so. When the gravity stops going down your probably finished.

Next time this happens I think it would be easier to put a blow off tube in the carboy or better yet just startout with one.

Also...What kind of sugar did you add? Just regular sugar? The reason I ask is because just plain old table sugar is going to impart a harsh alcohol taste. Plus, you don't need to worry about adding more fermentables after you start fermentation. The sugar that the yeasties need is still in solution.

Did you pour into the bucket or siphon into the bucket?

You made beer:) but, it's up to you if it's a good result. You might have a hot alcohol taste.

RDWHAHB:D

I added corn sugar. And I simply poured the whole thing into it.

1/4 cup of corn sugar won't hurt anything, but wasn't necessary as the yeast have all that yummy malt sugar to eat.

One pitch of yeast was probably fine, too. As s1080 mentioned, it may take time to start.

Carboys are fine to use, so are buckets. A fermentation won't cause a carboy to break, unless the carboy has a fault already in it. I've got 4 carboys and no breakages ever.

Now let it sit for a month, doin' it's thing....

oh, and Welcome to HBT. Glad you found us.
your next assignment is go go read every "sticky" up there...

It's cool man:) I wouldn't worry about it and try not to get discouraged. Brewing can be very intricate and we all make mistakes:D It takes a good while to get the process down. I've been doing it for 2.5 years and still have so much to learn. Just RDWHAHB and your next one will be better:)

I actually had the exact same thing happen to me on my second batch. Beer went everywhere because I didn't have a blowoff tube (I didn't know what a blowoff tube was).

Back