Yeast expiration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akdmax

Reaction score
My apologies if this is already addressed. I did a search but Didn't find what u was looking for. Does anyone have any advice on yeast expiration? I have a bottle of WLP004 that shows best used by jun 6-13. Any issue pitching that tomorrow? Thanks in advance!

I would highly recommend a starter, and / or getting a different vial. Yeast vials lose viability as they get older, and after that best by date, you may still get fermentation but who knows how many viable / healthy cells you'll have. Could use it, but would have better results with newer yeast.

Hope that helps, cheers!

I'd recommend a starter. You only have approximately 23% viability there. Looking at the BS yeast tool, it is calling for 2 vials at that viability with a .85mL starter, so I would say maybe a step up starter would be called for. That is based on an OG of 1.048. There are several threads regarding this on here.

A starter is definitely the way to go (though to be honest, I pretty much always advocate starters regardless of the yeasts viability).

I've gotten yeasts older than that going before, so with a good sized starter, plenty of aeration and yeast nutrient you should easily be able to use that yeast.

like everyone else is saying, make a starter and you will be fine. I've used a 2 year old smack pack before and the beer turned out fine.

Thanks everyone! Yeast starter it is. I have an older bottle of the same yeast as well, going to add that into the starter also and see what happens.

Back