New siphon hose. Is it ruined from sanitizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
I just set up to transfer my beer from primary to second. My son wanted to watch a movie (MIB III) so I figured I would let new auto siphon and hose soak in hot, light bleach water. Forgot about it during movie, picked it up after our movie was over, and it has turned slightly opaque. I rinsed it several times with hot water, but the clear hose is either coated with something, or the bleach did something to the inside of it. I think it is the latter of the two.

My question is: cani use it, or do I need to toss it?

image-633627251.jpg

I have left hoses sitting in star San for too long and had a similar thing happen. I tossed them just to be safe. Don't really know what the chemical reaction is that makes the hose slick, gummy, and opaque. Maybe someone on HBT does. I don't use bleach in my brewing so I don't know what bleach does to hoses, but it sounds and looks like what too long a soak in star San did to mine.

I don't think I would ever feel comfortable sanitizing in the bottom of the kitchen sink, even though I use sanitizer in a spray bottle to wipe my kitchen surfaces regularly. I think the best bet for a racking cane or siphon is a wallpaper tray that you can fill with sanitizer. Hoses can be soaked in there too, or in a bucket fermenter with sanitizer.

if that is silicone hose in the picture you can boil it for a few minutes and skip the bleach.

Latest posts

Back