3 questions about sparkling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbucket

Reaction score
1) would it be a problem to use 2L soda bottles (that I use for beer) to bottle the sparkling wine? Like bottle material leeching into the wine because of few extra percents of alcohol (7.5% instead beer at 5%)?

2) is disgorging absolutely necessarily or is it possible to pour it carefully without disturbing sediment - just like with naturally carbonated beer?

3) for sweetening shall I:
a) add surgarless sweetener (such as stevia when bottling)
b) top up with stabilizer + sugar solution to the carbonated wine after disgorging?
c) mix with sugar solution when pouring into a glass

I am thinking of doing (b) but kinda afraid what if stabilizer would not work and it would start to ferment again. Also not sure how my disgorging process will look like with the screw cap.

Looking forward for your replies

brewbucket said:
1) would it be a problem to use 2L soda bottles (that I use for beer) to bottle the sparkling wine? Like bottle material leeching into the wine because of few extra percents of alcohol (7.5% instead beer at 5%)?

2) is disgorging absolutely necessarily or is it possible to pour it carefully without disturbing sediment - just like with naturally carbonated beer?

3) for sweetening shall I:
a) add surgarless sweetener (such as stevia when bottling)
b) top up with stabilizer + sugar solution to the carbonated wine after disgorging?
c) mix with sugar solution when pouring into a glass

I am thinking of doing (b) but kinda afraid what if stabilizer would not work and it would start to ferment again. Also not sure how my disgorging process will look like with the screw cap.

Looking forward for your replies

As a beer brewer, sparkling wine is an easy 'side step' to make. Do your bottling just the way you would for beer (including careful pouring not to catch sediment). Sweetening can be tricky with natural carbing method, so look to use non-fermentable sweetners, or use a yeast that leave behind some sweetness as part of its process. You're right to be leary of stabilizer/more sugar combo. It will lead to bottle bombs! Hope this all helps, and enjoy!

brewbucket said:
not sure what you mean, please explain

Meaning use a yeast strain that dies off at a lower alcohol content, resulting in residual sugar.

Usually, at the brew store, they can give you a yeast that will give you a sweet wine.

novalou said:
Meaning use a yeast strain that dies off at a lower alcohol content, resulting in residual sugar.

Usually, at the brew store, they can give you a yeast that will give you a sweet wine.

Bingo. (Touches his nose and points @ novalou)

no yeast dies at 7.5% ABV of sparkling wine. (And if it did it would result in cloudy wine that would never clear )

Not exactly what I was thinking of. Lalvin D-47 (for example) will leave behind/create polysaccharides that are unfermentable and leave a residual sweetness.

Latest posts

Back