Help with equiprment set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I am having serious trouble getting my wort from the brew kettle to the plate chiller and the into my carboy. I am using gravity so I do have the flow running down hill. It's like my ball valve is stopped up at my kettle. I'm thinking I have a vapor lock some how. Any ideas?

Have you tried filling the tubes and plate chiller with sanitizer, then hooking it to you ball valve, opening the valve and letting the sanitizer drain until you have wort coming, then sticking the hose into your carboy. The initial momentum might get you started, like a siphon. If not, maybe you have some hops clogging your valve.

Matt3989 said:
Have you tried filling the tubes and plate chiller with sanitizer, then hooking it to you ball valve, opening the valve and letting the sanitizer drain until you have wort coming, then sticking the hose into your carboy. The initial momentum might get you started, like a siphon. If not, maybe you have some hops clogging your valve.

I thought about the hope thing but, I am using hop sacks and I checked them when I was cleaning them.
I have not tried the sanitizer thing and was thinking of trying that with hot water to see what happens.

I wouldn't use just hot water, either bottled distilled water, or boiled water would be safer. Since after the water flows through, the wort will be picking up whatever was in the water

Back