What temperature to store bottles at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertvrabel

Reaction score
So my first batch of beer has been sitting in the bottles for about 1.5 weeks now. I have a small cedar walk in closet in my basement which is around 60-62F. I also store my wine down in here since its a very dark room.

My question is, is this an ok place to store my bottles to let them carbonate? I figure I'm going to just leave all my batches in this walkin closet we have because its out of the way and I have no place upstairs where its normally in the high 60s to store 100s of bottles of beer.

If it needs to be warmer, is there anything I can do to warm up the room? I'd hate to have to run an electric heater or something all the time.. mainly because of the fire hazard issue, but maybe I'm just over paranoid about that. But if someone has successfully done this, let me know what product you use.

Technically, it's supposed to sit at 70 to carb. But, 62 should work, might just take a bit longer. Leave it for three weeks, then try one. If it's not carbed, give it another few weeks.

3 weeks at 70F is the general rule of thumb. They may still carb at 60F but don't be surprised if it takes longer than 3 weeks.

My cellar is a pretty constant 58*F in the winter and 64*F in the summer.

Generally my beers carb up in 2-3 weeks.

The higher ABV% beers and Belgians seem to take 4-5 weeks. I prefer to let these age longer anyways.

Revvy

Where is your thread that you usually direct people towards re bottle conditiong time? Is it stickied? I couldn't find it...

Where does everyone store their bottles at in the winter? I've got no good place upstairs to do so... I'm already using our extra full bath tub as my primary fermenting area since it stays around 68..

I guess so long as I know they will still carbonate I'm ok with that... I was just worried that it wouldn't!

Where does everyone store their bottles at in the winter? I've got no good place upstairs to do so... I'm already using our extra full bath tub as my primary fermenting area since it stays around 68..

I guess so long as I know they will still carbonate I'm ok with that... I was just worried that it wouldn't!

Sounds like you have a place :mug:

My cellar is a pretty constant 58*F in the winter and 64*F in the summer.

Generally my beers carb up in 2-3 weeks.

The higher ABV% beers and Belgians seem to take 4-5 weeks. I prefer to let these age longer anyways.

Sounds like my room will work perfect then... I have no problem waiting longer for them to carb. Although right now it is really hard since i have nothing to drink... but I've already brewed 4 batches since I got kit for x-mas... so I have a good pipeline going. Patience at first is hard without any homebrew to drink!

During bottling conditioning, is there any concern regarding temperature stability as there is during fermentation? I could move some upstairs, but the temp fluctuates between 60-70 daily...

are there negative side effects if stored/conditioned at too high of a temperature?

ie 75-80deg or hotter?

Just kick the Mrs out of the bed for a few weeks

Back