lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerant

Reaction score
Question for you as I'm still new to this. I made a few ales and would like to make a lager but I don't like this 50ish fermentation aspect. I know their are pain in the ass alternatives to keeping her cool but how would it change my lager to ferment it around 70f. ?
Thanks

Question for you as I'm still new to this. I made a few ales and would like to make a lager but I don't like this 50ish fermentation aspect. I know their are pain in the ass alternatives to keeping her cool but how would it change my lager to ferment it around 70f. ?
Thanks

A room temperature of 70 degrees is even a bit warm for fermenting ales, but there are some ale yeast strains that will go up to the 70s. I ferment my ales at 62-68 degrees (fermentation temperature, not room temperature).

If you can only ferment at ale temperatures, you can make an ale. There are some ale yeast strains that are really "clean" in the high 50s/low 60s, so if you can ferment at 60 degrees or so you may be able to make a lager-like beer.

A cooler that fits snug,some water and frozen water bottles,isnt too much of a pain in the ass,keep a temp guage and rotate frozen water bottles about every 8 hrs. I always got up in the morning swapped them then after work then before sleepytime.You adjust what temp by how many frozen water bottles to use.Its as hard as watering a plant everyday a few times. Dont use s-23 lager yeast above 68, i did a bit, and got some off tastes. That would be pretty good at 65 probably. For a common or steam beer.

Back