Moonshine cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipfire

Reaction score
I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not, so I would appreciate any feedback. I have 2 very small batches and both seem really strong at the 6-day mark.

1 gallon organic apple juice
1/2c brown sugar
1/2 tsp Saflager
OG: 1.049, SG day 6: 1.011 (I calculate to about 5%)

1 gallon organic apple juice
1/2c brown sugar
1 tsp DADY
OG: 1.049, SG day 6: 1.001 (I calculate to 6.3%)

Both are sitting just off the concrete floor in an unfinished part of my basement and the air is around 65 degrees, lights off most of the time.

They are still bubbling quite vigorously. I have no objection to a high alcohol content, but they smell like moonshine with the taste and after-taste to go wtih it. What I am aiming for is that nice smooth taste that you get from the store bought hard ciders.

This is my first time making cider (or any other drink), so feel free to tell me if I am totally screwing up, or if it is normal and I just need to be patient.

Is the juice from a carton you bought from a shop or you pressed from apples? If from a carton don't expect great cider. This is normally referred to as turbo cider.

I think you will be fine...

I use the cheap apple juice (no preservatives) and add concentrated apple juice to up the apple flavor. My OG was closer to 1.07. The airlock goes crazy, and I wait until fermentation is complete then backsweeten with another can of concentrated apple juice. I keg mine to carbonate and chill to stop fermentation.

I have had very positive reviews from everyone that has tried it. (and keep asking for more)

Yes, more alcohol than beer but still less than white wine. Let it finish fermenting and give it another 1-2 weeks to mellow out...I think you will be pleased.

It's a 1G glass jug of organic juice from Whole Foods. Can't get enough apples here to do it myself, the big guys like Mott's came in and bought the bulk so all that is left is the small sales, no bushels around. I just moved out of our place that was too small and into a new house that has some extra space I can use for the stuff to sit and ferment, otherwise I would have been trying this months ago when there were still a few bushels around.

Twalte,
Do you let it mellow out in the primary? This is my first effort so I have no clue what I am doing, but it is fun to watch even if it doesn't turn out.

Twalte,
Do you let it mellow out in the primary? This is my first effort so I have no clue what I am doing, but it is fun to watch even if it doesn't turn out.

Yes...I found cider to be very simple compared to beer. I leave it in the primary for about 4 weeks. Taste it...decide if it is sweet enough for my wife's taste. She doesn't like it truly sweet, but dry would not be popular.

I usually add one can of concentrated apple concentrate to 5 gallons and that gets it right where she likes it. (I like it too...but I like my beer better)

Cider is simple...just let it age a little and mellow...than backsweeten to taste.

If you plan to bottle, the backsweetening will get the yeast going again and you risk bottle bombs. There is a really good sticky on the cider forum about how to pasteurize your bottles once they are carbonated to prevent bottle bombs. (Let it carbonate for a while...then pasteurize)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

Have fun!!

Back