Cold Steeping Carafa Special(Dehusked)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So im doing a CDA style, and was looking at cold steeping the Carafa i got to get the darkness...

What im curious about though is, if this is necessary if your using Dehusked Carafa? I know a lot of the reason to cold steep is to remove the chance of the astringent roasty flavors from making it out, but doesnt Dehusked do that?

Or should i still plan to cold steep my Dehusked Carafa III?

Also, does cold steeping extract most sugars? Trying to figure out if i do steep it how i figure out in Beersmith how much it would possibly add, so my OG doesnt end up too low or high.

I made the same thing last year. I wanted a tiny bit of roast so I added the Carafa at mashout and it added a very faint roast note. I've also cold steeped and added liquid to last 15 min of the boil and that did not add any roast just color.

So if you're just after color cold steep and add to the boil

I've successfully made a black IPA with no roasted flavors by adding the carafa III in at the last 10 minutes of the mash.

I made the same thing last year. I wanted a tiny bit of roast so I added the Carafa at mashout and it added a very faint roast note. I've also cold steeped and added liquid to last 15 min of the boil and that did not add any roast just color.

So if you're just after color cold steep and add to the boil

How long though?

Ive read everything from 2 hours to 18 hours or more...kind of important to be able to plan my brew day.

I cold steeped over night so around 12 hours and it was significantly black. Just add the liquid with about 10 min left

Back