dishwasher pasteurize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that you put the bottles in the dishwasher, no soap, no rinse agent, hot wash, and take them out when the wash cycle ends and before the drying cycle begins.

However, there seems to be some debate as to if the dishwasher gets hot enough. Some say they get 140 - 150 degrees, but I know some recommend 170 - 190 for pasteurization.

Something I just read: "Very noticeably - when you exceed 175°F (give or take depending on the variety and condition of the apple) the pectin in the cider denatures and drops out of suspension. This results in a juice that is almost clarified on top but has a thick "cloud" of formerly suspended solids on the bottom. Several national brands of "natural style" apple juice (After The Fall and Knudsen's) have this appearance from time to time. Obviously this condition changes the look, "mouth feel", and taste of the juice and - to many cider makers - is absolutely undesirable for their product." ~ Cider pastuerization facts need to be put into perspective

So, I think I'm going stovetop at 170.

JoeyChopps said:
170? I read somewhere 190 in the pot and leave them in there for 10 mins is this ok?

Yeah, the theory is the temperature drops when you add te bottles.

On the same day I used the stovetop method stickied here and the dishwasher method with two different batches. The one I did in the dishwasher was already fermented out, so it was just a test. the ones from the dishwasher were not nearly as hot as the ones from the stove. I could easily touch them with my hands and was no way I could do that's with the others. It will depend on your dishwasher and hot water temp, but this test made me skeptical of the dishwasher method.

UpstateMike said:
My understanding is that you put the bottles in the dishwasher, no soap, no rinse agent, hot wash, and take them out when the wash cycle ends and before the drying cycle begins.

However, there seems to be some debate as to if the dishwasher gets hot enough. Some say they get 140 - 150 degrees, but I know some recommend 170 - 190 for pasteurization.

Something I just read: "Very noticeably - when you exceed 175°F (give or take depending on the variety and condition of the apple) the pectin in the cider denatures and drops out of suspension. This results in a juice that is almost clarified on top but has a thick "cloud" of formerly suspended solids on the bottom. Several national brands of "natural style" apple juice (After The Fall and Knudsen's) have this appearance from time to time. Obviously this condition changes the look, "mouth feel", and taste of the juice and - to many cider makers - is absolutely undesirable for their product." ~ Cider pastuerization facts need to be put into perspective

So, I think I'm going stovetop at 170.

I had exploding bottles at 190 for 10 minutes. I've had none with 160 for 20 minutes. No pectin haze either. YMMV obviously.

hroth521 said:
I had exploding bottles at 190 for 10 minutes. I've had none with 160 for 20 minutes. No pectin haze either. YMMV obviously.

Mine wasn't carbed so that probably has an affect. 160 for 20 is also a standard method. The stovetop sticky way just avoids having to carefully control heat.

Crank your hot water heater up before you do the dishwasher pasteurize. Is should get up to just under 160.
I guess the best way to check would be to run a thermometer through with a load of dishes, and check the temp in the middle of the cycle.

Back