Live Oak Primus Weizenbock clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scsi

Reaction score
Hi all —
Has anyone had Live Oak Primus Weizenbock? I have, I love it. Id love to make something similar, but have no idea how to come up with a recipe.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is what Live Oak says about this wonderful brew:

Our new winter seasonal, Primus (pronounced, "pre moose"), is a dark, rich German-style Weizen beer (beer made with wheat malt) fermented with a very particular strain of brewers' yeast that gives this beer it's unique spicy and fruity character. The unfiltered beer has the characteristic clove and banana flavors familiar to HefeWeizen drinkers but with a darker and richer roasty malt character that is typical of some German-style Bock beers. The alcohol strength will be around 8%. Available November - January

I know they use 3068 for their regular weizen, so that is what I would go with. They also tend to use simple recipes from what I have seen, probably Munich, Wheat, cara-something, and carafa special 1/2/3. IIRC they also do decoction mashes and cold conditioning for most of their beers.

Try emailing them to see if they'll give up any other details.

Do you do extract or AG? For AG you could get some dark wheat to use, otherwise you could use wheat DME and specialty grains to give you the color and dark flavor. I recently did an extract Weizenbock that I really enjoy. It was pretty simple and something like this:
9 lbs Wheat DME
1 lb Munich Malt
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Special B
~20IBUs all in bittering of Saaz or Hallertau

Primus is my very favorite beer. The prospect of brewing something similar is the whole reason I'm getting into brewing. It's a little sweeter and smoother than the Schneider Aventinus. The alcohol level is the same, but it seems more subtle. I'm a beginner so afraid I'm not of much help yet, but if I perfect the formula I'll definitely let you know.

Back