Head Space Q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akervin

Reaction score
I Know the debate to move to secondary or not may never be settled but my biggest reason is in order to free up my primary for the next round and my question is not related to if I should, but more how.

So now that we've established that I'm moving to secondary my question is...

What's the max head space you want to allow in secondary? I understand there is a chance of oxidation if there is to much head space.

Im using a siphon and know that The less startling of the beer the better.

Thanks for the responses ahead of time :mug:

I've seen folks use 5 gallon carboys/better bottles for 5 gallons in secondary. I'd preffer a 6 gallon one for that myself. But I don't use them. I used my 7.9G bottling bucket as a secondary once. It was a 6 gallon batch that off gassed enough co2 to fill the head space enough not to worry about it.

The less headspace the better. Try to use a secondary vessel just big enough for your batch. And don't hesitate to use a secondary if you want to. For most brews, it's not needed, but I use secondaries whenever adding something post fermentation or for bulk aging.

In theory,I'm using all the co2 that off gasses to fill the 1.9G head sapce rather than filling a smaller head space & letting the rest escape out of the airlock. But less head space is basically safer. The problem with us comes in insomuch as we brew 5 & 6 gallon batches.

The problem with us comes in insomuch as we brew 5 & 6 gallon batches.

thus the 5 and 6 gallon carboys. if i go to secondary w/ a five gal batch, i rack from the 6.5 gal to the 5 gal carboy. as far as headspace in primary, it's not really an issue if you have 5 gal in a 6.5 gal carboy due to all the co2 produced during fermentation. eventually that co2 will mix in with the air, thus the need for a smaller vessel with less headspace for post fermentation additions or long term aging.

Yeah man,I dug your rap. But there's also the matter of dissloved co2 to concider. It can fill a resonable head space. It worked with 6G in a 7.9G bucket. So If I make another secondary,I'd need a 6G & a 6.5G to have the right size for both 5 & 6 gallon as stated. Unless someone makes a 5.5 Gallon. Which begs the question;what size exactly are the 5G better bottles or carboys?...

Back