Brewers Best Pumpkin Spice Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frymn1969

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My next batch will kick off in about a week and will be Brewers Best pumpkin spice porter. I've read that the spice pack is way to much for and overpower this beer. Other than cutting the spice in half has anyone brewed this beer kit with success? I'm also considering putting pumpkin in the boil to make it a true pumpkin beer. Any thoughts on doing this?

Sorry for the late reply. I made this kit last year, and used 1/3 of the spice pack. It came out nice, about a month in the keg brought the flavors together and smoothed things out.

ThatGeekGuy said:
Sorry for the late reply. I made this kit last year, and used 1/3 of the spice pack. It came out nice, about a month in the keg brought the flavors together and smoothed things out.

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering waiting until the beer goes into secondary, making spice tea, then adding to taste. I'm also considering adding two cans pumpkin to the boil.

I've been meaning to reply but always busy.... Anyway, I brewed this PSP and I used the entire spice pack... I have to say, for my taste, the spice isn't over powering at all... OG was right on, checked Final several times and couldn't get below 1.020.... Kinda disappointing but tastes good anyway... I have come to the decision that brewers best kits are good for cutting the brew teeth, but I'm moving on from them...

It may be a bit late but I brewed that kit a long while ago and the entire spice pack was used. It is WAY TOO MUCH we ended up dumping it after a year when it never mellowed. You can always add more if you want a good kick.
The spice tea is the way to go at bottling for sure. That way you will be able to fine tune it to your taste.

image-1459831682.jpg

Here Otis. Is this normal?

Has anyone added pumpkin to the boil? If so what results

I am going to brew this beer tomorrow, and was wondering the same thing about the pumpkin. This is only my second time brewing and haven't added any ingredients that haven't come with the kit. Would you recommend putting the pumpkin in at the same time as the grains?

Thanks!*
Jeshi

secretjeshi said:
I am going to brew this beer tomorrow, and was wondering the same thing about the pumpkin. This is only my second time brewing and haven't added any ingredients that haven't come with the kit. Would you recommend putting the pumpkin in at the same time as the grains? Thanks!* Jeshi

All recipes Ive seen call for adding at beginning of boil. That's what I did

Back