My Makita 5-Gal MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I bought a 5 Gal Makita round cooler to convert into a MLT. I've bought all the parts for it based on the 10Gal Igloo cooler conversion from the sticky. Things have gone well except one major problem. All parts for the conversion are on a 3/8" setup. The hole left in the wall of the Makita cooler seems to be 1/2". This has caused me problems with getting a good seal with my washers. Just wondering about others experience with conversion. HOW BIG IS THE HOLE IN THE IGLOO? Wondering if I'm just having a bad fabrication day!

Anyone else use a Makita cooler???

Thanks,
Phillip

So I got it to work with duct tape! Nahhh just kidding, but i did use electrical tape. The problem was that the diameter of the threaded tube wasn't wide enough to fit snuggly into the opening where the spigot was removed. This allowed the gaskets on each side to fall down into the opening causing a poor seal. Solution = wrap the threaded tube with a few wraps of electrical tape to increase the diameter uniformly (wrap it very carefully). All gaskets fit snugly over it, being held in place and giving me a good seal. Now if I just had ingredients for my first partial mash brew!

Schlante,
Phillip

question is, will it hold its seal with 4 gallons of water at 150F with 12 lbs of grain?

Your best bet is to use all 1/2" parts. The rubbermaids and igloos must have a tighter spigot hole.

Back