Northern Cali beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicratlhead51

Reaction score
My brother-in-law is working in Pittsburgh California this week and possibly next. he asked me if there were any beers he could get there that wouldn't be available in Michigan. I like pretty much anything, a nice hoppy flavored but not overly bitter pale ale or a chocolatey porter and pretty much any Belgian style ale are really my favorites though. I thought I'd come here for any suggestions. I know California, especially Northern California is really known for craft beer and there's gotta be some nice regional beers there I can ask for.

Wait, are you going with him or are you expecting him to bring back beer? This is important, since Moonlight doesn't come in bottles.

When they're available, my favorites are Old Combine and >drool< Misspent Youth.

Yeah I'm staying home and he's going. I work with him and would have gone too just because I know there's good beer there but my sons 1st birthday is in a few weeks and I didn't want to risk getting stuck there longer than anticipated which happens more often than not with our company. He's not a "beerophile" like me so the more info I can give him the better and we're going to be limited to bottles since he's flying. He may just fedex em to me if he decides it won't fit in his luggage but I don't want to try and ask him for a growler or anything since the logistics might be a little rough for anything larger sized.

I'll float these suggestions:
Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' for your hoppy pale ale
Speakeasy Payback Porter for your chocolatey porter
Russian River Temptation if a sour can be your Belgian style
Trumer Pils if you appreciate subtlety, refinement, and finesse

I've never been, but apparently Monument Wine & Spirits in nearby Concord is the place to go for good beer selection.

Perfect thanks for the suggestions. I've heard of three out of four of the beers you mentioned but when he asked if there was anything he could bring back I totally drew a blank. I'll have to text him those for sure.

Back