Can you wait too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn

Reaction score
I have a batch of witbier that has been in secondary for about six months. I just opened the bucket, it smells good, but has more floaters on top than I am used to seeing. This could be a by product of the orange peel and coriander seeds, or a sign of a problem. Can it ferment to long?

Well, it was technically done fermenting at the latest five months ago and has just been aging since then. Some beers age better than others but if it smells fine and tastes fine it's fine. So I guess the question is how does it taste?

So much for the belief that Wits are best when young.

If the aroma and flavor seem ok after all this time I'd say you did a great job with sanitation. Planning, otoh, not so much ;)

Cheers!

Yeah between full time job, small business on the side, three kids, volunteer fireman, and soccer coach time got away from me. Kind of forgot that it was in there for a while.

Back