Pumpkin Beer and taste has changed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebrew

Reaction score
I recently made a pumpkin ale and boiled the pumpkin. This seems to have killed some of the pumpkin taste and smell. I put the pumpkin in at the 1st 15 min of the boil and it smelled great I used all the recommended spices but used 2/3 due to I want this on tap the end of oct. So I checked the gravity of this and tested a sample. Note 90 min boils produce much clearer beer (1st 90 min boil).
Used notti yeast and it got a whisker below 1.010, so it is a little hot. After a sip I really had a little hint of pumpkin and no spices (all spice cinnamin, pumpkin pie spice). My ? is I need this to taste a little more like I intended should I do a spice tea up and add it the keg?

Any thoughts?

:mug:

I have only made 1 pumpkin beer so far and I only bottle, however, I sampled one last night which has been conditioned for about 1 month, and I would say that other than the green flavor, I think it is going to mellow out very nicely. I spiced the bejeezus out of it, I added at flameout, and added more to the secondary. There is just a hint of pumpkin flavor, which I hope time will help to bring out rather than diminish. FWIW, it was an extract brew, I was not setup for AG a couple months ago, but I am thinking of brewing another Pumpkin beer next month (AG) and putting it away until next year. My thoughts were to mash some of the pumpkin and add some to the boil. Personally I want pumpkin pie in a bottle not a beer that has a pumpkin accent. I know that if it doesn't taste like beer anymore then you've over done it, but when it comes to pumpkin beer I want a thick sweet pumkin flavor and a hint of beer. To each their own.

Like I said I spice in the secondary, and it came out well. IMO, I would do the tea.

I am going to do the tea tonight but am cautious on the quantity and the mixture. I have a 6 gal carboy with 3.5-4 gals of beer. Any thoughts folks?

Draw a pint out of the carboy, measure how much you add and then do the math of how many pints you got in 3.5-4 gallons (minus the one you took ofcourse :D). With the number you get, i would still reduce the spice by 10% if you plan to drink it in the next few weeks.

Back