Opinion needed on possible contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oter

Reaction score
I brewed this stout 3 weeks ago and has gone undisturbed. I used harvested wlp002 a week after harvest. Just opened it for the first time and it has a strong smell (not sure how to describe it. It doesn't smell rotten at all, just kinda burns the nose when I get a big whiff) and the beginnings of little white rafts. Not the brown yeast rafts i am used to seeing upon opening a bucket.

Does it look like a bug that is just starting it's work? Could I pitch a new bug and just go for a sour (btw I have zero experience with sours).

Any opinions would be great. I just hate dumping a beer.

DSCN0161.jpg

DSCN0162.jpg

DSCN0163.jpg

the burning in your nose was just CO2. def don't dump it til you at least taste it regardless of infection or not

So I let this sit for another week and there seems to be a layer floating on top. I am considering racking it off the trub and letting it age. It doesn't smell bad at all. Is this a pecille starting to form?

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

Also, after racking do you think I could introduce brett? Could it become dominant or would it not matter?

Definitely infected. There is already a pellicle. You should taste it and see how it is. If it tastes ok you might as well bottle and drink it now. 99% of the time infections are not the kind that make your beer taste better. So it might be ok now but if you let it sit it may be undrinkable in a few months. If you're thinking the infection will age into something delicious, just understand the probability is very low of deliciousness but very high that you will get something that tastes like bandaids and/or feet.

Eh, In that case I am just going to dump it. I don't want to expose any other equipment to the infection.

Back