Cider tastes Grainy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungusBrews

Reaction score
So I've made 21 batches of cider over the last couple of years and this is the first one to taste a little "off" to me. I usually make a variation of Apfelwine (sans extra sugar since that has gotten me in trouble some times :tank:) with apple juice from costco. I usually repitch the same yeast over and over for about 5-6 batches.

In November, I used real cider from a local farm, using the built up yeast cake. I noticed that during fermentation a strong sulpher odor developed, which never happens withe the apple juice. I kegged that batch, and poured 5 more gal of apple juice onto the same yeast cake (prob my issue right there). The sulphur aroma has lagered out of the real cider batch.

The grainy flavor is in the batch that I poured on to the yeast cake from the real cider. I did notice a hint of sulphur during fermentation, which was unusual, but once kegged that aroma disappeared. The taste I can only describe as grainy...

So I suspect I should have started with fresh yeast after the real cider batch, but how could this lead to a grainy taste? It is still drinkable, but I am trying to figure out what caused this to be different. I didn't wash the yeast, just simply poured the apple juice into the same carboy.

Latest posts

Back