Why so much banana in my Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
So I brewed the New Belgium Farmhouse Style Saison from BYO's 150 clones a few weeks ago, moved it to the keg, and everything tastes fine apart from the very heavy banana flavors coming through.

I used 3724 for my yeast, and fermented at about 85 degrees. I thought that yeast was designed to like high temperatures, so why did it produce so many esters?

Did you start the fermentation at 85 or lower and then ramp it up?

I just brewed one with the same yeast and I have no banana flavor. I believe this is an indication of hot temperatures at the beginning of fermentation. I started mine at ~68, then let it ramp up to 85 over a week or so.

You definitely need the 85 temps to get that yeast to finish the job.

-Steve

No I didn't start it lower, I suppose that probably would have been a good idea, wouldn't it? :p

I'll bet your right, thanks for the quick response.

No problem.

I conducted my fermentation according to Jamil's advice in both The Jamil Show and Brewing Classic Styles. I think it worked very well, except that I didn't expect 3724 to take so long to ferment.

I know what you mean, my bubbling (i know it's not a proper indicator) went for about 10 days, finally it slowed, and it was about 1.015, xferred to secondary and it started another slower fermentation that lasted about another 10 days, and dropped it down to 1.008

Yeah, I'm no expert on that yeast, but I think the high temp from the beginning would favor those bananas. Starting it lower, and ramping it up to finish would be the key for the full rich flavor of that yeast.

I bet you'll still have great flavor with a little time!

I know what you mean, my bubbling (i know it's not a proper indicator) went for about 10 days, finally it slowed, and it was about 1.015, xferred to secondary and it started another slower fermentation that lasted about another 10 days, and dropped it down to 1.008

You know, Wyeast's website says it often stalls out at 1.030 or so after a quick start. That's usually when brewers ramp up the temp, if I remember correctly.

You know, Wyeast's website says it often stalls out at 1.030 or so after a quick start. That's usually when brewers ramp up the temp, if I remember correctly.

1.035, and that's exactly what happened to me. They call the yeast notorious for doing this.

Hmph.

-Steve

With mine, I planned a ramp up with a heating pad, but never got the chance to do it. The ramp happened, but faster than I expected and it was self-imposed. I pitched at 70 degrees. Room temperature stayed at 65-70 degrees. By the end of the second day the wort temperature was up to 80 with no outside influence. From there I used the heating pad to keep the temperature in the 85-degree range for two months.

Went from 1.071 to 1.006 for 8.5 ABV. Dry, fruity, some pepper, but no over powering banana that I could detect.

I think the key to not getting stuck is don’t let the temperature fluctuate too much. Once it raises don't let it naturally drop. Keep it high until it’s finished and had time to clean up.

To add, the temperature outside of the fermenter is usually a few degrees lower than within, if your ambient temps were in the mid 80's your fermentation taking place in the fermenter may have been a bit warmer lending to the estery profile.

Back