So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be brewing my first lager this coming weekend.

Osawatomie Brown Lager (Dark American Lager)
8# 2-row
1# flaked corn
8oz C120
4oz roasted barley
.5oz EKG @60min
.5oz EKG @10min
Wyeast 2035 American Lager Yeast

...recipe subject to change slightly before brew day...

Depending on how long it takes me to renew my drivers license tomorrow, looks like I might be brewing up "The Nug", A Nugget single hop IPA.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be off for a while. Going to be out of town the next few weekends, plus family coming to visit me on the other weekends, will probably put me out of commission for at least a Month. I did put some time in though, over the last 6 weeks I have brewed 4 times to get the pipeline back in shape. .

With a higher than expected volume/lower than expected OG I may end up not needing it, but I've got some WLP099 Super High Gravity waiting to polish up my English Barleywine. Will check the gravity maybe Thursday or Friday, and if necessary make a big starter of it Friday or Saturday.

Brewing right now. 96 degrees outside is too warm for brewing but you gotta do what you gotta do!

I forgot to order some ingredients earlier in the week so I would have something to brew today. Next weekend I'll need to brew my pumpkin ale so come September/october it'll be ready to enjoy! This weekend I'll clean out the keg and kegerator to keg an Amber Ale

Now that my new electric kettle is up and running, I'm brewing a 2.75 gal batch of Blacklab's Cascade Orange Pale Ale!

image-1963567059.jpg

I hope so. Hoping to get a chance to brew the latest tweak of my ever-evolving IPA recipe. It's basically a two-hearted clone with a mix of Citra, Centennial, and Simcoe instead of just Centennial. Trying it with 1272 this time.

Trying my version of a pumpkin ale this Sunday:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Dr. Stein's Frankenpumpkin
Brewer: Sven
Asst Brewer:
Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.78 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 15.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.3 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.3 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.3 %
60.00 oz Pumpkin, canned (Mash 60.0 mins) Other 6 -
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 m Hop 7 14.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 6.4 IBUs
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 9 -
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
0.50 oz Willamette [5.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 1.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang [8.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale (frozen stock) (Wyeast Labs Yeast 13 -
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 14 6.7 %
8.0 oz Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 15 3.3 %
2.00 Items Vanilla beans (V. fragrans) (Secondary 1 Spice 16 -

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Double
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Protein Rest Add 18.94 l of water at 139.4 F 130.0 F 25 min
maltose rest Add 6.75 l of water at 194.4 F 145.0 F 90 min
dextrinization re Decoct 4.12 l of mash and boil it 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Decoct 7.41 l of mash and boil it 168.0 F 15 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 1.86gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
ADJUNCTS:
Bake pumpkin at 350 °F for 30-60 min (until brown on top) and add to strike water.

Add honey on day 3 of fermentation.
Add sugar on day 4 of fermentation.

Add spice tea (cinnamon, allspice, ginger etc) to taste when in secondary.

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not brewing anything this weekend, as I have 27 gallons currently in the pipeline:
5gal Helles bottle conditioning
3gal Christmas ale bulk aging
In primary from brew session 2 weeks ago:
5gal Marzen
5gal Hoppy Amber
5gal Indian Brown
4gal Irish Red

I'm going to a family reunion in southern Vermont for a week, leaving tomorrow. I'm bringing 4 cases of bottled brews for sharing, and hope to collect several more cases of bottles so I can empty my clogged pipeline.

2 sixers each of:
Maibock
Dry Stout
Zombie Killer Clone (cherry cider)
Best Bitter

Plus 2 more cases of various brews, including:
Lemon Pepper Rye Saison
Spruce tip Pale Ale
Chipotle Chocolate Robust Porter
Vienna Ale
Dortmunder Export
American-hopped Best Bitter
Cherry Raspberry Melomel (after 8 months, it is very smooth and extremely potent!)
7 year old mead
2-year-old smoked porter

After I get back I'll be brewing a Classic American Pils and a series of 3 gallon Single Hop APA's - I have half a pound each of Chinook, Cascade, Centennial, CTZ, and Perle, and I want to really learn them, and try blending the finish beers to see what proportions I like.

My grist for those will be:

5lb 2-row
1lb 15L Munich
.5lb C40

Just ordered &/or bought at lhbs/midwest yesterday enough ingredients for two PM IPA's. Another Batch of my Maori IPA (with fresh hops this time),& my new recipe,Cougar Country IPA. Both will use the same malts. But replacing the 3.2oz chocolate malt with 8oz melanoidin malt to get more of the color I was looking for. It's also supposed to intensify the malt character.
The hops will be the same for the NZ-hopped Maori,but a new combo inspired by Latitude 48 & Pliny in the cougar country. Def wasn't cheap to brew 2-5 gallon batches with some 9 hops between 2 ales...

Not brewing but just went commando in the carboy and dry hopped an IPA with Amarillo, Citra and Colombus. Going to try cold crashing for the first time. Have too many batches going and my ferm chamber is full.

unionrdr said:
Def wasn't cheap to brew 2-5 gallon batches with some 9 hops between 2 ales...

Adds up quick doesn't it. Just wait till you brew a DIPA with over 25 lbs of grain and a total of 19oz of hops and a Belgian IPA with 15 lbs of grain and 7oz of hops all in one day. ;)
That was my most expensive brew day I've had so far. I don't make it a habit to do that.

Today I'm brewing my house IIPA called Dust Devil. I'll be entering it in an upcoming competition at a local beer fest.

I've signed up for community batch of Flanders Red for the club's 55 gallon barrel. My share is 10 Gallons, must brew tomorrow. My biggest pot is 8 gallons.

Right.

JonM said:
I hope so. Hoping to get a chance to brew the latest tweak of my ever-evolving IPA recipe. It's basically a two-hearted clone with a mix of Citra, Centennial, and Simcoe instead of just Centennial. Trying it with 1272 this time.

Huzzah! I can find time if I get up early enough tomorrow. Now the challenge is not to have too many of my Maris Otter/Centennial SMASH tonight ...

I'm brewing this tomorrow. gonna go with US-05. and I might change the Rahr to Marris Otter.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Brewer: Billy Klubb, Bobby Klubb
Boil Size: 12.55 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 48.78 %
3.50 lb Rahr Pilsen (1.7 SRM) Grain 34.15 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 9.76 %
0.75 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 7.32 %
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.9 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops

i have a dark cherry lager and a canadian blonde in my kegerator carbing, should be ready in a week (both were 8 days primary 10 days secondary).

Today I was bored and what better thing to do when your bored is to brew something! So I felt like doing something different...after some searches for hard apple cider (I didn't want just plain apple juice cause I don't like wine) I stumbled upon something called Graff. I searched the post some more and thought it was the perfect thing to try. I only added cinnamon and nutmeg ontop of the original recipe (brandon O's graff). Currently in the primary, 5 gallon batch. I'm happy to venture onto the cider side!

Going to brew a belgian witbier tomorrow morning. Getting up at 6 am so i do not piss swmbo off!! LOL which is a task all in its self!

I am breaking in my new 10-gal mashtun with my house IPA recipe... with a twist. I am using El Dorado as the finishing hops instead of my usual addition of 7C's hops. Looking forward to the results.

So far, no leaks from the mash tun, and the temp was right on target.

Just finished up a batch of Punkin Ale clone. I split the batch between Bry 97 and Mangrove Jack's M44 West Coast yeast. I will be doing my final (3rd) batch of pumpkin ale next weekend probably using the bry 97. Pumpkin Ale seems to be a beer I can not brew enough of as everyone asks me for it between bottles and kegs for a few parties. This year it will be going in 500ml Russian River style bottles with orange caps.

Outside of pitching a secondary strain into a Barleywine this weekend, didn't brew. Next weekend, bottling a Mild and then repitching into a Milk Stout and English IPA.

Brewed 11 gallons of Wyld Ryed Pale Ale on Saturday. Outside. In Florida. In August.
It was only 92* with 90% humidity, and it only rained twice. God I love beer.

Alright! It's monday, time to start planning for this weekend! Big day for us, we're doing 4 batches between the 4 of us:

1) IIPA
2) Coconut porter
3) hefe
4) unknown

It's going to be a super long and hectic day for us so we weigh out the hops and grains ahead of time to save time/confusion.

Just finished a starter for a Saison I'm doing late tonight, and sanitized one of my kegs for later. I'm also soaking some bottles, so I can bottle a batch of funky blonde later...

Back