hops stocking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoHomebrew

Reaction score
I am on my 5th batch as a noob and have discovered that using a recepie and starting to buy in bulk is a great money saver compared to buying kits(in addition to yeast harvesting which I will try on this batch). As a new brewer I am learing more each day about style and which hops to use but it will take time. I have been slowly purchasing hops in 1/2 pound increments and have Traditional and Hallertau on hand. My preference is German beers and I am going to experiment with Belgians and Pales a little now. Any recommendation on some flexable use hops for these styles to have on hand? I will probably order 2-3 8 oz varieties this week.

Thanks

I don't mind Hallertau in my Belgians if I've got some around, but if you're looking to buy more anyways I'd say Saaz is probably the hop I use the most in my Belgians. For the pales, it depends if you are talking english or american pales. For English, something like EKG should get used quite a bit. American could use any number of american hops (centennial, cascade, amarillo, citra, etc.).

I've become a big fan of Amarillo and Chinooks in my IPA's... and Fuggles and East Kent Goldings in the stouts. The Amarillo is hard to find at the moment, so I've been subbing Falconers Flight.

Didn't even think of Falconer's Flight. Its a blend so I'm not sure how long its gonna be around, but I'm currently on a keg of all-Falconer Flight IPA and its quite tasty. Its fairly high AA (10.56% my batch), but works real well as a bittering, aroma, flavor, and dry hop.

i always have east kent goldings, hallertau or hersbrucker (for hefeweizens), cascade, and willamette (a strain of fuggle) around, as well as very high alpha hops ( i like apa's and ipa's ).

Back