Degassing...Foam Forever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregules

Reaction score
Newbie, degassing with drill attachment for the first time. I have been stirring for about an hour now. It foams up and I let it disperse. Restir and get more foam. Is there a difference between foam and CO2 bubbles? Do I just keep going until I have no bubbles or foam at all? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Apparently you're making a wine kit?

Degassing is the only "bad" part of kit wine making. Trust me, you want to degass as much as possible so that you don't have problems later.

One way to see if you've degassed about enough is to take a small wine bottle and sanitize it well. Using a wine thief or turkey baster (sanitized), take wine from the carboy and gently put it in the wine bottle. When it's filled to about where you'd fill a wine bottle, put a sanitized finger over the opening and give it a shake. Go to the sink and remove your finger. If it's foamy, or bubbly, you're not done degassing. Go back and gently pour the wine back into the carboy and start up the drill again. It's tedious (but much worse during it by hand- trust me!!!!) but important.

Latest posts

Back