Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirk

Reaction score
Exactly one month I brewed a dubbel, all grain, pretty standard one with 1 pound of home made candy sugar, initial gravity 1.064, 5 gallons batch.

I re used yeast from a previous batch(US-05), but I think I probably underpitched(first time I used slurry)... well the thing is that after 5 days the kraussen dropped and fermentation stopped, I did a gravity test and it was 1.024 after three days I did another one, again 1.024... I gave it a good swirl and moved it to a warmer place. After that I waited 1 week, and again 1.024... at this point I bottled another batch, so I had a healthy yeast cake in my other fermenter so I dumped my stuck beer on it, and waited a week. Nothing, still is at 1.024.

:( what do you recommend me, should i just bottle it? discard it? any other method I should try?

I suspect you have a high quantity of unfermentables in your beer. Maybe the mash temp was too high. Maybe there was a problem with the "homemade candi sugar". You have done all you can do to get the gravity down. You warmed it up, swirled it, and even "re-pitched" by racking onto a new yeast cake. If it is still 1.024, then that is probably as low as it is gonna go.

If it were me, I would bottle it. 1.024 is higher than ideal, but I don't think it is a deal-breaker based on your information. I would be very surprised if you got bottle bombs, considering the efforts you have made to drop the gravity with no results.

Probably the only other thing I might try is to boil about 1/2 pound of candi sugar (or cane sugar) in a few cups of water. Cool it to room temperature and add to the fermenter. This will hopefully "kick-start" the yeast into activity again. They may (or may not) drop the gravity a few more points after they eat the simple sugar. I suspect that this will yield limited results, but it may be worth trying.

The expected FG at 1.064 OG and 75% attenuation would be 1.016, and 1.024 isn't THAT far off from 1.016. Either way, you wouldn't expect bottle bombs at that FG, you are just going to have a malty Dubbel. I'd go ahead and bottle.

You dumped it onto another yeast cake? Wouldn't that oxygenate it up pretty well? Hopefully you don't have cardboard after bottling

Latest posts

Back