AHS Chocolate Raspberry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yeast do you guys (that can't get it down) use?

I chose not to use the yeast that AHS said to use and I had no problems. But I also did the AG so I have a little more control of that.

Muntons Premium Gold dry yeast. Also, now after an extra week the rasberry has mellowed considerably, and it is very tasty.

Well mine has carbed up. I must have a problem tasting fruit flavors because I can not taste any of the fresh cherries or cherry extract. I used 5 lbs fresh cherries for the entire 5 gallons and added a bottle of cherry extract to 2.5 gal of that. Either way it still taste goods for my first stout. I hope it gets better as it ages some.

I can not taste any of the fresh cherries or cherry extract. I used 5 lbs fresh cherries for the entire 5 gallons and added a bottle of cherry extract to 2.5 gal of that. .

Did you add the cherries in the primary, secondary, or steep after wort boil? And how long were they in there? I've had three pounds of macerated frozen raspberries in my secondary for almost 2 weeks now. Thinking about kegging this weekend. I definitely smell and and taste the raspberry, although, no hint of chocolate. Still a good stout.

I put it in the primary 1 week after start of fermentation and left for 1 week. Then racked to a secondary leaving as much of the cherry matter in the primary.

I've read people adding fruit to the primary, secondary, and steeped in warm post-boil, prefermentation wort. So, there doesn't seem to be a "wrong" way to do it. But the consensus seems to be you get the most fruity flavor/aroma if you add it in the secondary for a week or two. Repeated freezing and thawing the fruit beforehand also seems to release flavors and sugars.

Pulled another pint last night...and dropped in 6 fresh raspberries plucked form the garden. What a deliscious little treat, especially the beer soaked berries that accompnaied the last mouthful.

:tank:

Back