Oxiclean Rules!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
Well, I did some searching on this forum regarding getting labels off beer bottles. Most posters recommended Oxiclean. So, I went to my local Home Depot and picked some up. I tried some tonight. All I can say is, "WOW!" This stuff kicks butt! :rockin: After less than a 2 hour soak, the labels were falling off and the bottles were sparkling! Highly recommended! I couldn't find the Oxiclean Free (without dyes, scents, etc) so hopefully it won't matter.

devils4ever said:
I couldn't find the Oxiclean Free (without dyes, scents, etc) so hopefully it won't matter.
Just be diligent with your rinsing (as you should be with any cleaner) and you'll be fine.

I did find out that Oxiclean didn't remove the label from an Amstel bottle. It must be because it's plastic and not paper.

Please no abuse for having a Amstel bottle. My friend really likes them!:confused:

Well what happened to me was it acted like it pitted the whole inside of the Keg and I freaked out as I had just bought this keg. Someone had suggested I soak it in Starsan which I did and it removed all the crusty film the Oxiclean had left in there.

Originally Posted by devils4ever
I couldn't find the Oxiclean Free (without dyes, scents, etc) so hopefully it won't matter.

I got the Oxiclean free at Wallmart. It has a green lid, and it was only about $7.00 for a big box. I agree it works well, for removing labels, :rockin: but I am hesitent to use it for a sanitizer. I prefer the iodine myself. I have had good luck with it so far, and when something works dont change it. My problem is I cannot find the iodine on any of the brew sites. I have not found any that sell it anymore.

I don't plan on using it as a sanitizer. I'm only using it as a cleaner.

I'm bottling today so I'll see how it works on my carboy.

Saxmk6 said:
I got the Oxiclean free at Wallmart. It has a green lid, and it was only about $7.00 for a big box. I agree it works well, for removing labels, :rockin: but I am hesitent to use it for a sanitizer. I prefer the iodine myself. I have had good luck with it so far, and when something works dont change it. My problem is I cannot find the iodine on any of the brew sites. I have not found any that sell it anymore.

Do a google Search for "BTF Iodophor"

http://www.northernbrewer.com/sanitizers.html

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BTF+Iodophor"]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BTF+Iodophor[/ame]

It might not take off the amsel light label, but if you peel the label off it will help loosen up that super gummy crap under the label.

I used Oxiclean on my carboy! Again, I was very impressed. It took off all the gunk in the carboy without any brushing. I'm sold. :D

:Runs to empty the kegs that have been soaking in Oxyclean for the last day:

Whew! no problems. They had been soaking for about 20 hours and there is no visible damage. :mug:

HighPlainsDrifter said:
:Runs to empty the kegs that have been soaking in Oxyclean for the last day:

Whew! no problems. They had been soaking for about 20 hours and there is no visible damage. :mug:
You could leave it for a few days without any problems.

Also DO NOT use it as a sanitizer..... It's soap and that's all it should be used for.

Another good cleaner I've found is dishwasher detergent. Get the stuff with enzymes (ie. cheap-o Walmart GreatValue/ SamsClub stuff). Consumer Reports says the cheapest stuff works better than the expensive stuff as long as it has the enzymes.

It doesn't foam up and it's quite strong. As always, rinse well.

Can you use Oxyclean on plastic buckets and better bottles? What about Stainless Steel kettles?

If you let the oxiclean sit in something for awhile it get this grit that sticks to the surface (glass carboy in my exp) and you can not scrub it off. BUT, a good day long soak in some extra concentrated starsan and the grit comes off. You then rinse it very very well and the put reg strength star san in it to sanitize.

New Guy here with 2 cents to offer...

If you just want to get labels off of bottles... try 1 Tbs of Baking Soda in 1 gallon of water... the labels slip right off after a 1/2 hour or so of a soak... then just use a sponge to get the rest of the gooey stuff off...

:tank:

Call me Old Fashioned. I have always just let the bottles Soak in a Bleach and Water Solution for a couple of weeks. I have never met a Label that could stand up to the treatment.

Anybody use TSP any more? I still have some that I use to clean bottles.

Also, how about PBW? That's what I'm using in carboys, buckets, etc and it works great. It's awful expensive though. Am I just throwing money away?

Back