Racking lager onto cake to finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizooBrew

Reaction score
I have an Oktoberfest/Marzen that is currently fermenting with WLP820, their Oktoberfest/Marzen lager blend. It started at 1.060 (slightly out of style), and is now stopped at 1.021. This is higher than I would like, and so after some thought and discussion in another thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/decreasing-gravity-004-points-new-yeast-324809/) I have a few options, one of which is to rack my lager onto a cake of another lager which fermented using Wyeast 2124 Bohemian lager.

This yeast has higher attenuation values than WLP820, so it might be able to bring my beer down just a few points to put it within the stye. Would this racking onto a cake potentially lead to any negative side-effects? It is obviously grossly over-pitching, so I'm anxious to go ahead with it.

My options, as I see them now, are: (1) Rack onto the Wyeast 2124 cake, (2) wash the Wyeast 2124 cake and rack onto less than the full original yeast cake, (3a) swirl the carboy regularly for a bit to see if I can get it to drop down some more, (3b) put my carboy on a stir plate to keep yeast in suspension, or (4) give up and be happy with the beer I have.

I'm stressing out over this beer, as I was brewing it in conjunction with the other lager that is on the Wyeast 2124 cake (a Munich Helles) for an Oktoberfest celebration. I realize 1.021 isn't terribly high, but I would really like to maintain the drinkability of this style. Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated.

As always, thanks a ton HBT! :mug:

Alrighty... went ahead and racked onto the cake. We'll see what happens! I'll report back in a few days.

Back