First brew day since 09. A comedy of errors.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
Before I had kids I brewed pretty often. I loved it. I had my technique down. I was pumping out great beer. And then THEY came along. With their needs and their diapers and their schedules. Brewing fell by the wayside. Well, SWMBO took the kids to Florida on Saturday, and that gave me the opportunity to break out all my old brew stuff. It was on!

So I decided to brew BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA. I got all the stuff, went over my plan, and thought I had the thing licked. Then it was time to brew.

It was like a monkey f*cking a football. Nothing felt natural. Everything was a struggle. I hit my mash temp and held it for an hour, then went to vorlauf. Alas, I didn't have a hose for my 1/2" barb. So not only did I have to vorlauf with a pitcher, but I had to transfer from the MLT to the brew pot with the pitcher. What a nightmare. While I was doing all that, my sparge water got too hot. 185*. I couldn't get it to cool off and I was starting to get flustered, so I said f*ck it and sparged.

I got about 8 gallons in the brew pot and set off to boil for 75 minutes. I guess I was supposed to end up with 5.5 gallons, and ended up with about 6 gallons. Couldn't control the boil properly. Ugh.

Cooling went ok. My coil got it down to pitch temps in 20 minutes or so, but I couldn't be sure because my stinking thermometer took a dump. So now no thermometer. I took a hydrometer reading and missed my OG by 12 points. 12 POINTS!!! Whatever. It's going to be beer probably.

Earlier in the morning I went and picked up a refrigerator that I had let someone borrow with designs on using it as a fermentation chamber. So I got the beer in the carboy and plugged the fridge into my temp controller. GFCI outlet pops. Tried it again...pop. Great. So I ran an extension cord from my laundry room out to the garage to get the thing going. Fine. Temps start to go down and pretty soon I'm at 68* and feeling pretty good.

This morning I wake up and the fridge is dead. SH*T! I start driving around town pricing freezers. No joy. Only 5 cu/ft anywhere. Too small. So I come home and start building a chamber from a mini fridge I'd bought. It takes ALL DAY. I'm working with that 1.5" thick polystyrene which is a nightmare. Long story short, at 5:30 I lower my carboy into the "finished" chamber and turn it on. The temps start to slowly come down. It's drafty. I know it's drafty. It's the worst thing I've ever built. Ever. It's horrible. It's money I've just THROWN OUT THE WINDOW. But it's cooling my beer for now.

My fermenting OLIPA got to 75 before I got it in the box. Hopefully it doesn't ruin it. I know it will still be beer. I will drink it. But It's a shame to make worse beer than you know you can.

I topped the night off with a big ribeye grilled on my back porch where I currently sit typing this sipping a Ruination. I'm just glad it's over. I had intended on brewing again today but the chamber build killed me. So now I'll have to do the ultra-rare weekday brew. Should be interesting.

Anyway, that's a LOT of words. Lots of them. But this is cheaper than therapy and I know there are some of you out there that feel my pain. Cheers to you. :mug:

Just went out to check on the abomination I created. It really hasn't cooled. sitting at 74. I put a little computer fan in there to circulate the air. Hopefully that helps. The sides of the fridge are hot too. Hopefully I don't kill it the first night and burn my house down. SWMBO would be most displeased.

One week ago today I had my worst brew day ecer. My consolation is knowing that, next time I brew, my mind will be in it 1000% and it will be a smooth event. When youre at the bottom, the only way to go is up. Better luck next time.

Way to stick with it man. I bet that beer will taste great. Know why? Because you made it. Good job!

You know what all that hooey means deacon? Awesome beer. Without the story, the beer would be meh. Just don't let the wife see all the receipts when she gets home...

Back