double decoction and stuck sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
I im making a Marzen using the enhanced double decoction schedule. I hit all my temps, 97, 133, 151, 170. I start the pump to start recirculating at the mahout temp and it slows then gets stuck! After playing around with pump speed, raising the temp a little, stirring the mash, I give up and end up with a kettle full of cloudy wort.
At the end of the day I have 82% efficiency, so should be fine, but how do I avoid this stuck sparge in the future? When I finally drained all the wort out of the mash, I had a thick layer of proteins on top of the grain, which I assume was a major contributor.
Hopefully all the crap in the boil kettle doesn't hurt too much.

The protein schmaltz is a by product of the process but shouldn't have effected your sparge. How thick was your mash as compared to other mashes? How was the grind on your grain? If it was too fine, you could have reached high efficiency but the flour turned to sludge. Did you replace any liquid loss from the boil off in the decoction process?

I did replace the water I lost. I'm thinking it may have had something to do with the grind. There was a lot of flour in the bag. Maybe time to invest in my own mill.

Latest posts

Back