Tried and True Cider Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrey

Reaction score
So I am new to brewing in general but I want to make a hard cider soon, a little later in the fall when cider is on sale.

I was doing some research and it seems pretty easy but there are quite a few different recipes out there which seem to vary quite a bit.

I want to make something that is still kinda sweet and I want to make half the batch carbanated.

I figured I could bottle half of it and then toss in some sort of sugar (don't know what kind) to prime it and then bottle the rest.

Anyone got any good ideas?

(And Edwort, before you post about your your afilewhies (I almost spelled that correctly right...?) I want to try a cider first and that recipe seems a bit dry at .990 FG.)...although I do plan on making it sometime.

Bump

Thats right, post count +1

Plus, I have never seen a thread sit at 0 replies for this long on these boards.

Get cracken boys

Here you go! I am wanting to try this with different yeast in 1 gallon batches but don't have the 1 gallon jugs. It does have a different flavor with different yeast.

5 cans Frozen Apple Concentrate(thawed)
4.5 gallons Apple juice (No Pres. 100%)
4 cups Sugar
1 packet Cider Yeast

Make a yeast starter with a can of concentrate and a can of water, sit aside for 15 to 30 minutes. Concentrates in the carboy first, pour out about half of each bottle of juice into the carboy split the sugar between the jugs and shake until the sugar is dissolved and then pour into carboy. By this time the yeast should be milky and starting to foam a bit. Add the yeast to the carboy and top with a bit more juice if needed.

Add the air lock and put it away. Check for the next few days to insure it is bubbling. In about 6 to 8 weeks it should be completely clear. Rack off and let this clear some more and age as long as possible. You can add splenda to sweeten and prime it with white sugar if you want to carb it. Taste it first however as it is very appley.

Back