Proof

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGrath Brewery

Reaction score
I know this isnt anything to do with beer, but if there are any distillers here i was wondering if you can tell me how i can measure the proof of the alchohol after i have distilled it and how to change that.... :confused:

I got into home brewing cuz I was first interested in home distilling so I kinda have done a lot of reading about this but never actualy tried distilling . . . . . yet.

I'm pretty sure I have seen hydrometers that will tell ya the proof of your hoch. Also if ya want to raise the proof you are gonna have to distill it again or use a doubler when you are distilling it the first time. If your prrof is higher then you'd like and/or high enuff you are concerned about a fire hazard you can cut it with good clean distilled water and it will cut your proof down to a level thats a bit less "explosive"

My wife cleaned out all my bookmarked distilling links, but I'll see if I can scrounge them up again and post a few that may help ya out some

*EDIT* kk found this one again, was the main one I used to study
http://www.homedistiller.org/

Pumbaa said:
I got into home brewing cuz I was first interested in home distilling so I kinda have done a lot of reading about this but never actualy tried distilling . . . . . yet. *EDIT* kk found this one again, was the main one I used to study http://www.homedistiller.org/

Distilling is still illegal in the States....sorry, just trying to warn you. :(

maybe it's leftover from prohibition?

maybe it's because distilling is relatively dangerous compared to brewing wine/beer/mead?

maybe it's just because the government wants to make money off of selling distilling licenses to big manufacturers?

-walker

cowain said:
What makes distilling illegal in the states?

Specifically, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Practically I imagine it's a combination of leftover-Prohibition prudishness, health concerns, and pressure from commercial distillers.

An individual can legally distill in the US, but it's hardly worth the hassle. You have to get a permit from ATF, the equipment they limit you to is virtually useless, you're only allowed to distill a small amount annually, and I believe you have to pay taxes on what you do distill.

However, I generally get to sample moonshine 2-3 times a year so the ATF probably has bigger fish to fry, like internet cigarette sales!

By the way....

a bill is currently before Congress (Bill H.R. 3249) designed to legalize home distilling. It was sponsored by Representative Bart Stupak of Michigan and has been referred to the Ways and Means committee. Its progress can be followed by reference to http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.html

-walker

Interesting. Of course, you'll still have to battle the state legislatures after it passes the Feds. My experience (not direct) is that as long as things are kept on a small, non-commercial scale a blind eye is turned (or it's just not detected).

I've thought about trying it just for the hell of it, but frankly I'm not a big drinker of spirits. I love beer daily, occasionally partake of the tequila, and sample some moonshine a few times a year, but that's about it. So if I could fashion something cheaply I might give it a whirl, otherwise it wouldn't really be worth it. Also, I believe the ATF has access sans search warrant to all customer records of stores selling products designed for distillation (including legal distillation of things like water and farm fuel), so I'd definitely want to hack something together from Home Depot.

All in all, probably not worth the effort.

I agree with you. I'd like to try it just 'because', but it seems to dangerous to be worth it. Having something THAT flammable THAT close to a heat source would scare the hell out of me.

I'll just buy my tequila and vodka from the store... nice and safe. :)

-walker

It occurs to me that my local brew shop has a distiller for sale, sitting right smack dab in the front window with all it's copper cauldrun and tubing shining at the world. I guess it is one of those things that it isn't illegal to own-- just don't use it.

Like a radar detector in some states.

You can buy small distillers at Sears, I think. Granted, they are marketed for the purpose of purifying water, but that's a detail left to the consumer.

-walker

It's perfectly legal to distill water. I'd just like to filter mine through some cornmeal and sugar for a few days first. Here's the plan. If we all end up in the Federal Pen. for distilling, we can form sort of a home ( away from home ) brewing gang. Watch each other's backs, gaurd one another's virtue in the shower, etc.. OR... We could all just wonder what if , and keep on brewing. Isn't beer and wine enough without distilling ? I'm talking myself into not building a still, here. I can't make it in prison! The Monkey is fragile!

Back