Im already addicted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocajoshua

Reaction score
I just brewed my first 2, a wheat beer, and some of Edwort's Apfelwein and already bought more ingrediants to make a brown ale. The first two are bubbling away quite nicely, and I am already loving it. The brown ale asks for some Gypsum but I can not find it in any local stores, any suggestions? My roommates already either love me or hate me, some cant stand the smell of the brewing (I did PM) while others just want to bask in it. All of them look really good, I had 1 small boil over but we quickly subsided it, so I think we are off to a good start, im going to fix the small errors I made when doing the wheat when I start the Brown Ale.

Any suggestions on the best ideas where to get the Gypsum is appreciated, Im in Orlando, but any kind of local store would be great.

I really am already addicted and I have not tasted any of it yet.

Bocajoshua

You can use irish moss instead of gypsum.It's just a fining agent.Your LHBS should have it.Congrats on the new addiction.

Gypsum is mainly added to add calcium to bring the mash pH into range. Depending on your water source (ie. city/well) you already have enough minerals. If you're using distilled water you will probably need to add some Gypsum. It also accentuates bitterness if in the proper range.

Don't worry about it, not a biggie...

EDIT: here's John Palmer's take: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter4-2.html

Double EDIT:
It's just a fining agent.
This is incorrect - they do not do the same thing. Irish moss is a fining agent used to clear your beer (you should definitely use this on every brew). Gypsum is added for the reasons I mentioned above.

Thanks for everyone's help, I picked up a bunch of Irish moss and will leave out the Gypsum as it was suggested, ill prob brew another batch tonight/tomm. I love the bubbling, makes you feel good inside.

Back