Kegging not connected to CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire943

Reaction score
Can you keg beer without it being connected to CO2? I would connected it at first, make sure the oxygen has been forced out but then disconnected. Is there a problem with doing this. I would like to have one keg on standy since I only have two taps.

I do this when I'm dryhopping in the keg. As long as you get a good seal it will be fine (unless I've been doing something very wrong). I don't think it will hold CO2 pressure though because it will be absorbed in the beer, so I don't know about carbonated beer.

Like Warped said, give it a blast at 30psi or so to seal it. Note that the beer won't be carbed when you swap it in, so you'll still need to let it sit (or force carb) when tapping it. Or, if it's going to be on standby for a bit, you could toss in some priming sugar and let it naturally carb while in the keg (should still give it a blast of CO2 to seal it).

After kegging a batch, I purge the headspace with CO2 and charge the keg up to about 20 PSI to set the seals. Then I just stick it in the closet to condition until I'm ready to carbonate and tap the keg.

After kegging a batch, I purge the headspace with CO2 and charge the keg up to about 20 PSI to set the seals. Then I just stick it in the closet to condition until I'm ready to carbonate and tap the keg.

do you ever notice a difference in your beer between conditioning it flat vs carbed?

I have an extra keg that I use to long-term condition sour beers (I have my Berliner Weisse in it now). I hit it with 30 psi to seal the lid. Every night I release the pressure release valve (and get a tiny little pffft). When it's done, I'll toss it into the keezer and proceed as normal.

Latest posts

Back