Expired yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
I bought some Nottingham this weekend and I didn't check the date before I bought it. Expiry 2009/05. I'm a little grumpy with the LHBS but that is not the point of this here thread.

Can I still use it? If i rehydrate/proof it and there is action then I'm guessing its fine. Can yeast go bad or does it just die?

It just dies. It won't go bad.

I might suggest you make a small starter. The goal isn't propogation, just a viability check so it won't matter how small it is.

I've used wine yeast that was 2 years past it's expiration date & had no problems. If it was kept refrigerated the entire time, odds are good it's still viable. Make a yeast starter to be certain. Regards, GF.

Yeah, I'm at the point with LHBS I HAVE to check expiration dates. I swear I saw some bavarian wheat yeast they had dated from '06 yesterday.

I have used expired (liquid) yeast and had no problems. I always make a starter, and try to step it up at least once if the yeast is out-of-date.

A couple weeks ago I was traveling and stopped by a homebrew store. They had a ton of out-of-date White Labs yeast for 50% off. Some was only out by a month or so. I picked up a few vials.

Back