New Kettle Defects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htm6934

Reaction score
I received my new 10 gallon SS kettle in the mail today. The shipping sucked of course and my pot was scratched, lid had a small dent, and the handles were hanging out of the box but none of those concern me that badly. What does concern me is the worn away spot on the inside bottom edge of the kettle. It's about 2mm x 3mm spot but it's like the SS has rubbed off. Will this cause any issues with the beer itself or should I not worry about this. I'm concerned with it getting worse or effecting the taste of the beer.

I've included the best zoomed in pic I could.

IMG_20130126_102255.jpg

I wouldn't say that's a defect, more of a manufacturing blemish. Try taking a very fine grit sand paper (300 or better) and working that spot. Stainless steel is stainless through and through. During elongation of the pot I bet that was just a spot that didn't get enough coolant/lubricant or to much (that fluid is constantly recycled) maybe a glob of something stuck on the stamp.

Just buff it out with sandpaper if it bothers you. A purple 3m pad should work as well.

I bought it from Spike. They pretty much only deal in kettles. Tig welded Ports for accessories are great, 1mm thick. Seems like a great pot minus the shotty shipping which I'm sure is partly the shippers fault. I'll try the buffing thing. Thanks for that. I paid right at 200 with free shipping for pot, thermometer npt and ss valve npt all 1/2 inch.

I just tried buffing with a 310 scuffing paper and it took it out. I also was able to bend the lid edge back into place even though I will probably never really use the lid.
Anyway, thanks for your replies. It helped.

Latest posts

Back