Double Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
Started my brew day at 8 am with washing and so forth. Pitched the yeast for the double chocolate stout an hour ago. Belgian Strong is mashing right now. Will be done in 20 mins. While its boiling I will have to run and get the kids from school. Its a busy busy day. Oh and I don't have to worry about boil overs because of some great stuff I got at the lhbs. 10 drops in 5 gallons and no boil over guaranteed. Without it I would not be able to go get the kids. Don't think they would appreciate staying at school all night. I kid I kid.:rockin:

Sounds like a tough day. Back to back batches is something I will never do solo again. All though I have a few times done 2 batches that overlap. I will start my second mash at the same time my first boil begins. The second mash tends to go over an hour but it really only adds about 1.5 hours to my day.

I love double brew day. It is challenging to see the process through, but the satisfaction is amazing!

Well that was a long day. Not complaining. Anytime my day consists of brewing 2 batches of beer, its a good day. Had everything done, cleaned, and returned to its rightful place by 7 pm. And thats with squeezing dinner in there. The belgian strong was bubbling away within an hour. I used a starter for it. The Stout was going very strong this morning as well. It was a fun day. My back is sore this morning and I spilled a cup of coffee all down my pants. But hey, it could be worse. CHEERS!

One thing I suggest is to mash while the first beer is boiling (don't forget to allow cooling time so that u can time the mash correctly....doing it this way should only add 1.5-2 hours to your total brew day.

Currently my brew days for a single batch usually run 4-5 hours....a double should end up being around 6 using this method

Well aside from the clean up and prep (which I couldnt do night before) it only took about 6 hours from heating water to final yeast pitch. I dont have enough equipment yet to mash while Im boiling. That problem will be solved very shortly.

wuss! I did a triple brew day on sunday! ;)

Brewed a schwarzbeir, then as that was going in the BK, mashed in on a stone 15th anniversary. When the schwarz was done, I was was running the water from the plate chiller back into my HLT, and heating it up. Once the Schwarz was put away, transfered the 15th into the BK, then sparged the rest of the HLT into the MLT, took the MLT back to the HLT and used that as a second BK! Small beer for free! Used leftover hops and some old yeast on it. See how that comes out. But it was a "free" beer, so who cares!

Free is always nice. If I had the equipment I could have got it done a lot faster. But I had no where to be so I wasnt it that big of a hurry.

Back