Double IPA Recipe Critique needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, too much carapils and crystal 60. They really aren't necessary but if you have to use them, you'll only need 4 oz or so of each for flavor and head retention.

Agree with previous post. As well, I would use a stronger hop (Warrior, CTZ, Nugget...) to get about 50 IBUs from your 60-minute addition, and add a lot more hops in the last 15 minutes and dry. Probably close to double what you've got. I assume 73% is the default attenuation on Hopville; I think you should expect around 80% for this recipe, which would be much more DIPAesque.

Well, you'll have beer.

What are your goals for this particular IIPA? Be specific and then we can tell you if you will end up brewing what you had hoped for.

One thing I will make note of is that 6.25 oz. total hops is not enough for 5 gallons of IIPA.

Hello All,

This is my first real attempts at making a Double IPA.

please critique and fire at will.:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1678996

Thanks,

Joe

I would leave the grain bill alone but I would also use either more of the 20 min addition or maybe even add a 10 minute addition to get your IBU's up to a little over a 1.00 ibu/gravity ratio for a IIPA.. that's for my tastes anyways..

Here's a great little chart that shows a good starting point for your IBU's per style..

http://www.madalchemist.com/chart_bitterness_corrected.html

This is what I would probably do with the recipe, but feel free to do it however you’d like!

Leave grain bill as in (6% specialty malt is not too much, I think that would give a nice malt background)
Like others have said, add moar hops!
I would bump up the 60 min centennial addition to 1 oz even.
Add a 10 minute addition (Amarillo/Cascade?).
Add a steeping/flameout addition (maybe 1 oz simcoe and 1 oz Amarillo?).
Swap 30 min Amarillo and 5 minute centennial.

Make sure you oxygenate well and maybe think about pitching two packs of US-05. You want this beer to get down into the low to mid 1.010’s, not 1.025.

I am not trying to clone anything inparticular. I am just trying to build a beer bigger than a normal IPA but also not a monster. I will play around with the numbers later and post up again.

I like my bigger IPA's more piney than normal (if that makes any sense).

thanks for the pointers.

Back