My Tap Handle Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redstache

Reaction score
I am currently putting together a small keezer. I haven't had time to start construction, but I really wanted to get started. Decided to start with the tap handles. Not sure what I am going to carve on the handles, but I got the blank set up with the brass insert necessary to attach it to the faucet.

Any ideas for what to carve into them? Think I'll make a couple just for the hell of it. I'll update with the finished handle.

Picked up some brass inserts from local woodcraft. Not sure if the big box stores carry them or not. About $7 for a pack of 10. They are 3/8" 16 TPI, which fits on my draft tower perfectly.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Buy a T-Wrench. Tried it with a screw driver, and I was quickly back in Woodcraft to get the right tool. Makes installing the insert really easy.

Here's the packaging if you are looking for it in the store.

I decided to use a Maple blank for the handle. Just marked the center for drilling.

Unfortunately I don't have a woodworking vise, so I made do with a handscrew clamped to my work table.

I drilled the hole for the insert with a 1/2" forstner bit. I don't have a drill press, so I just tried to keep it as straight as possible.

It takes a little elbow grease to get the insert screwed in, but at least it won't fall off.

Thanks! I've gone through about 3 tap handles, either splitting the wood or breaking the threaded insert with a screwdriver. Good to know about the T-wrench and forstner bits.

If you have access to a drill press, its even easier. Take a piece of threaded rod and put to nuts on it, spin the threaded insert onto the rod, and then back it in by tightening the nut. Should go in quite easily.

To the OP, that's a good idea with the T wrench in the absense of the drill press! Good Job!

dfess1 said:
If you have access to a drill press, its even easier. Take a piece of threaded rod and put to nuts on it, spin the threaded insert onto the rod, and then back it in by tightening the nut. Should go in quite easily.

To the OP, that's a good idea with the T wrench in the absense of the drill press! Good Job!

Wish I had the space for a drill press. Seems like a handy tool. Like Bennyhaha I shredded a couple of inserts with a screwdriver before I went back for the t wrench. The brass is softer than i imagined. No split wood though since I was using maple.

Nice job...

Yeah you can find the 3/8 thread insert at the big boy stores too.

Wish I would of known about the T wrench...I just drilled a 1/2 hole and threaded it in

Back