(fast, then) slow fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yn381sb

Reaction score
Hi guys

Running a simple amber ale kit to stock up quickly for summer in Australia. All per recipe, 22 litres, 1050 og, dry ale yeast, and fermented at 22c (72f). Fermented like crazy from 3 hours in and over the whole weekend, about 1 bubble per second. Over the time I was at work today it has slowed almost completely. it's at exactly 3 days now. I was expecting this to take 7-

10 days at this temp.

It is maintaining a touch of airlock pressure but only about a bubble per half hour! Gravity 1015. Tastes ok, bitter but not sour. Not sweet. A bit cloudy but after 3 days I guess this is ok.

Thoughts? I am going away for a few days, and it's in a temp controlled fridge. I think I should wait it out, but is there anything I can do tonight to give it a better chance?

Thanks

Stu

If your gravity is down to 1015, then you are fine. Give it time, and it will finish where you want it. It looks to me like fermentation is slowing because it is finishing.

What yeast did you used? at those temps and that og fermentation can happen in three days. Just be patient and wait it out, your beer it´s probably fine and you don´t need to give it a chance. It will clear with time and it may drop a few points more. Take a gravity sample when you come back from your trip if it´s the same you can leave it longer to condition, or secondary if you want to or bottle away. Make sure your final gravity it´s steady for three days before you do anything.
Another thing never take airlock activity as a reference for fermentation hydrometer it´s the only to get a proper reading to know if your beer it´s finish.
RDWHAHB and enjoy your trip

Thanks for replying guys. I am learning to trust the process! Yeast was ale yeast 514 which came with the kit (country brewer). Will let it sit and go lay on the beach!

Back