DIY wort chiller: sanitizing, type of copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
hello,
i know there are a lot of threads out there on this, but didn't see the answers to my questions. i'm planning on making a DIY wort chiller, similar to this one:

http://three-colours.blogspot.com/2009/01/diy-immersion-wort-chiller.html

-do i need to get a certain type of copper tubing or will any type due? i want to make sure i don't get the wrong thing and end up with something that will make me sick, or even worse, give off flavors ;)

-which is better for sanitizing it before use: boiling with the wort for 15 minutes or using star san on it?

thanks a bunch!

AFAIK copper is copper, so you'll be good with the copper tubing you can find at Home Depot or Lowe's. As far as sanitizing, I always just drop it in the boil for the last 15 minutes and have never had any issues. Good luck with your build.

I don't think it takes 15 minutes. More like 15 seconds. 170F is pasteurizing temperature, so as long as you put it in the wort at the end of the boil, I think you will be fine.

Copper is all the same.

You do realize you posted a link to a DIY chiller site right lol

You need a copper roll not straight pipe. The roll is very easy to bend.

I put it in the boil at 15.

lol h22 i was thinking the same thing, just get a big roll of copper from HD and some spring pipe benders, wrap it around t paint can and itll come out great!

Back