Switch for heatstick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
Hello,

Going to try to make a weldless HLT keggle by the end of the weekend so I can brew!

I believe the last question I need answered is if this switch:

30-Amp Industrial Double Pole White Switch-R52-03032-2WS at The Home Depot

can handle a 5500watt element. My research says yes (as it is rated for 30 amps @ 240v) but I wanted to confirm as I'm not very good with electricity.

I will be running from the panel, to the switch, to the heatstick, which will be (theoretically) be inside the kettle with a weldless fitting from morebeer.

I know this if a far cry from the ideal PID/SSR setup, but in essence it will replace a burner I don't really want up high.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

The title says double pole, but the specs show single pole...
You'd really want a double pole switch to cut all the power off, not just one leg. A single pole will stop the element from heating, but there will still be 120v present everywhere.

As for the design, you'll probably have some difficultly controlling the boil since you'll have an all or nothing system, and 5500W may result in excessive amounts of boiloff

Wont be boiling, it will be for heating mash water and sparge water.

So a double pole switch is ok, just not that one?

Ok, the switch might be ok, I don't trust the specs they put online often. Basically look that it switches both wires so you cut all power when you turn off power, then you should be good

Latest posts

Back