Conical Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since I have started brewing I have seen the talk about conical fermenters and how great they seem to be. But...what is so specail about them and what are the advantages?

I've got one and love it, didn't like the price but love the conical. If you harvest yeast this makes it extremely easy but the ROI takes a long time if you only consider the yeast harvesting. Easy to clean, can push beer into kegs with CO2 if you choose is nice as well since I'm always aware of oxidation. One really nice thing is the ability to remove the cold break before pitching the yeast. I use a plate chiller so all my cold break ends up in the fermenter. After the fermenter is full I wait about 2 hrs, open the drain valve and collect all the cold break that has settled. I then pitch the yeast and anxiously await the next batch. Austin Homebrew Supply gave me the best price so I decided to pull the trigger. Definitely shop around and decided weldless -vs- welded best suits your needs.

Back