Smoked Imperial Stout - recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
I say recipe check but just got done milling my grains and they are mixed for the morning so there isn't much tweaking to that. I think the recipe seems solid enough, as did the local brew store I showed it to. Questions below the recipe:

15lb two row
1 lb crystal 60
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz roast barley
1.5 lb cherry smoked malt
3.4oz Carafa III
1oz Warrior (whole) @ 60
1 oz Amarillo (pellet) @ 60
Nottingham with 230ml starter

Single infusion, medium body, no mash out
Batch size (fermenter) 5 gallon

OG: 1.096
FG: 1.021
IBU: 69.5
ABV: 10%

The only extra hops I have are more Amarillo, Cascade, Willamette, Santiam, Tettnang, Cluster.

I have an additional 5.5oz of smoked malt. I don't want the smoke to dominate, just add to the profile. Should I add this malt or stick with the 1.5lb?

Should I add .5-1lb corn sugar to dry out the beer a bit?

Add 1oz Semi-sweet baker's chocolate?? (on hand)

Looking forward to brewing just before Isaac hits Florida :ban:

Thanks

Just my 2c...I made an imperial porter with a very smooth smoke character, probably a little more than you're looking for using 54% smoked malt...a combination of Beechwood & Cherrywood. It tasted a lot like chocolate covered bacon. I don't think you'll get much smoke in an imperial stout, if any, out of 1.5 lbs.

I think you can go up to 60% Cherrywood or 100% Beechwood, so I'm thinking in a beer with a lot of roasted malt flavor & alcohol, you'd want some more smoked malt in there for it to come through. I'd replace some of the 2-row with smoked malt...maybe if you come to around 25-30% smoked malt, you'll get the subtle smoke you're looking for.

Here's my grain bill for what it's worth. It got me to 10.5% ABV. I probably didn't get much from the small amount of Flaked Oats & Special B...just looking for a little help with head retention & caramel complexity.

- 8 lbs Beechwood Smoked Malt
- 4.75 lbs 2-Row
- 3 lbs Cherrywood Smoked Malt
- 1.5 lbs Chocolate
- 1 lb C-80
- 1/2 lb Black Patent
- 1/4 lb Flaked Oats
- 1/8 lb Special B
- 1 lb Corn Sugar (simple sugar to help the yeast not get too stressed)

* Mashed at 150F - You'll get plenty of body from the high alcohol level, so don't be afraid to mash a little low to get more fermentable sugars in there.

I forgot you already crushed the grain. I'd add some more of the smoked malt & just live with a little higher alcohol brew.

Also, mine is based on Left Hand's Smokejumper if you've ever had it. I used most of the same ingredients, just guessed on the amounts. It's probably my favorite smoked porter out there.

Thanks for the tips, CT. For whatever blonde reason, I didn't think to lower the mash to lower the FG. After adding the extra smoked malt and lowering mash to 150 my gravity dropped to 1.019. Beersmith defaulted to 148 leaving a FG of 1.017. I think I'll just shoot for the 150 since I sometimes come up a bit cool in my mash anyways. :)

Back