Rusty chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblewis

Reaction score
I have a freezer that i use as a kegarator. It started rusting like crazy inside. I have sanded all the rust away( hours of work) and sprayed the inside with high performance enamel by rustola. is there something else i should put on the inside to prevent this from occurring again.

since it is a Freezer and i use it as a fridge it gets lots of condensation on the inside. does anyone know of something to put in it to prevent some of this moisture. it also likes to produce mildew and mold since there is so much moisture.

no it doesn't leak it just build up lots of moisture on the sides.

does any one know of a product to paint on the inside that is very water resistant.

A co-worker of mine bought a rust-bucket of a car as a work-beater for $100. He sanded down all the rust spots and then bought some cans of spray-on bedliner to cover the bare metal, redneck-style. Maybe you could try that........

roll on or spray on truck bed liner is definitely the best possible coating for this application. Not only is it extremely water proof, but it is nearly indestructable, so your kegs won't chip it no matter how rough you are. The trick with this stuff is to make sure the surface is extremely clean. After thorough cleaning whipe it down with a cloth with a tiny bit of mineral spirits to ensure a strong bond. Watch out for the fumes, they are REALLY nasty.

Treat the metal with acetone after you get the rust knocked off and then roll on some bedliner. it will never rust again as long as it runs.

Back