Got too Hot after Bottling(30+), will the second fermentation be ok still?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewChump

Reaction score
Hi all, new to site. Unfortunatly I have had a rookie mistake.

Had a look through some old posts, alot of "Is my brew ruined" stuff which isnt very helpful for titleing tbh, lol:p

Anywayz, this is my first batch of beer ever, its a Coopers DIY Lager. I bottled it about a week ago and its been really cold here. After bottling I put the bottles in 2 carboard boxs stacked in the corner of the lounge room. Its been like 12 degrees here and from what i read fermentation is at about 21-27 degrees. So I put the heat pad i used on the fermenter between the stacked boxs and unfortunatly the top box got to 31 degrees for about 5 hours, and the bottom box only got to 21 degrees.

So question is, is the top box of beer that got to 31 dead and gonna give me some funky rotten dead yeast smells and flavours or will it still be ok?
And if its dead is there any fix, or just toss it?

Thanks BrewChump!

Although it got a little on the warm side the flavour profile isn't going to have, detrimentally, changed all that much during the bottle conditioning phase. You might want to drink the beers that were in the top box first, though. But realistically, you probably only, ever so slightly, sped up the carbonation process for those beers in the upper container.

Had your brew reached that sort of temperature during the initial lag and attenuation phases you might have to worry about funky esters, phenols and fusels, but not in this case.

Be sure to let us know if you do detect any difference, between the beers in the upper and lower boxes, though:mug:

It won't do anything noticeable... The flavor profile of the beer is sealed, and while too hot of a temperature will speed oxidation it won't happen quickly.

Thanks Guys, good to know I havnt buggered anything up totally.

Def Orgi, I always try to post back on forums. Always important to complete a thread for future peeps reference.

Update - Being a first brew I obviously drank it way to early. But never noticed anything wrong with any of it besides the flavours were all over the shop as it went from semi-green to pretty dam good by the last bottle.

Back