quick natural carbing kegs questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J311gonzo

Reaction score
so I just got my corny kegs today... i want to natuarlly carb them with corn sugar... first one is a porter... my question is I'm not leaving it in a fridge, it will be in my basement, so is this ok? and on the same line, if I carb it to 2.4 volumes at 65 degrees, will it be the same when I chill it to serving temps? also are there any cons to naturally carbing a keg???

I was thinking about using on of these kegs as a "real ale" keg, using it backwards and upside down... I read it on here... have any of you done that?

like always thanks for all and any help.

You don't want it to be in the fridge while carbing, the basement would be better, but someplace in the 70 degree range would be best. Main con is a little sediment at the bottom of the keg which clears in the first pint or two.

I've never carbed in a keg, but from my bottle-carbing days I know that you want to use the right amount of fermentables so the beer is properly carbed at the serving temperature.

This priming calculator should make that fairly easy to get right...

Cheers!

Back