stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrk97420

Reaction score
I have been brewing for several years and came accross an issue today I have no experience with. I made a dead guy clone and used wyeast european ale yeast (with a starter that took off). I see little or no bubbling from fermenter after nearly 30 hours. I moved it to a slightly warmer location to see if I could get it going, but the airlock moves a bit, but no good action. Is that typical with this yeast? I do notice when I use certain yeasts they will start slow then ferment for longer. Others will take off in a few hours and finish fast.

Just a thought- maybe give the carboy a gentle swirl/shake to rouse the yeast?

From Wyeasts web site:
1338 European Ale Yeast. From Wissenschaftliche in Munich. Full-bodied complex strain finishing very malty with full bodied profile, very desirable in English Style Brown Ales and Porters. Produces a dense, rocky head during fermentation. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 67-71%. (62-72° F, 16-22° C)

Since the flocculation is high, maybe that would help. Are you using a carboy or a bucket? Do you see a "dense, rocky head"? It's also possible that it's about done, too, especially since you used a starter that took off.

Lorena

Do you see any foaming (krausen) on top of the surface of the wort? If there is a krausen, but no airlock activity, chances are that your bung/airlock is not achieving a seal. If you don't see any krausen, then it's just slow to get started. I've had yeast take 3 days to get started...and it turned out fine. Give it more time before you worry.

I am using a bucket and can't see if there is any progress. I'm at 48 hours now. I will swirl and see how that works. Thanks for the encouragement

If you're using a bucket, chances are that you don't have a complete seal and the fermentation is well on its' way to being complete. Pop the top and see if there is or was Krausen. If so, just give it a few days to finish up & move to secondary.

Back