Concord grape beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exels

Reaction score
Anyone ever try using grapes in beer? I didn't see anything posted her about it.
I have a 1 gallon batch of pale ale I did and just so happen to have some Concord grapes available (not enough to do a wind though). Thought I might try racking it on to them after the
initial fermentation is done.
Was thinking of only doing a half pound or les as they have a lot of flavor.

DFH's midas touch uses white muscat grapes in it. It's a clone of the beer king midas was buried with. Judging by the anylized vessel residues. So some grape could be used.

Thanks i'll have to try that one out. Definitely not much out there on people trying to make them or recipes for them. I might rack them over onto 8 ounces or so to try it out. Not sure if I should boil the grapes first or not.. Someone told me they carry a lot of wild bacteria's on them. I think I 'll just spritz them with some stars an after washing them. Hoping that there is enough alcohol content in the beer by this point to help combat any funkiness that the grapes could have.

I just racked it over onto the grapes tonight. I washed the grapes then soaked them in some star San for 10 minutes or so then put them in a hop sack and crushed them. Them i put the whole sack in withe the juice then racked on top of it. I would expect another small ferment period by morning. Sorry I haven't taken any gravity readings on these.

Here is what it looks like now. Two days after adding grapes. It's purple now. Still bubbling a little bit. I think I'll leave it a week or so.

image-351530508.jpg

Here is what it looks like now. Two days after adding grapes. It's purple now. Still bubbling a little bit. I think I'll leave it a week or so.

View attachment 79648

I know this is an old thread, but wondering how it turned out? I have about 12cups of Concord grapes juice/mash (I used a juicer to crush/juice about 30lbs of fresh grapes) Gonna brew up a Belgium strong ale (or something like it) and then add the concord grapes juice/mash to the secondary and treat it like a wine after that..

2 years ago I put some saison on Concord grapes, about 1.5 pounds per gallon if I recall correctly. It turned into a total Jolly Ranger beer. The grape was overpowering and fake tasting. I hated it. My wife liked it, but you couldn't drink more than a single glass. I only had about 2.5 gallons, so I blended half in with another saison once there was room in the keg. That was still not to my liking, but I got through it. I used a gallon as a dreg reservoir for sour beers which has slowly been diluted as I used some and replaced with other wort.

Back