Bin it or bottle it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthague

Reaction score
I recently went all grain, but I messed up the mash I believe and only got 10.010 after boiling for an hour. After cooling I reconfirmed the low sg and decided to add all the LME on hand, pulling it up to 10.040. Almost 2 weeks later its down to 10.020.

I'm wondering if its best to just write this off and bin it or bottle and see what happens. Right now, even if it get it down to 10.010 again it's going to be pretty lame... It's a Heifeizen if that helps.

Bin it? Or Bottle it?

I too would bottle. Basically you have an easy drinking wheat session beer.

What ways did you mess up the mash? What were your ingredients and what was your mashing procedure?

If you bottle it, try to carbonate on the high side, which is typical of a hefe anyways.... but it might take away from the cloying sweetness you would experience if it was lowly carbonated. You could also let it sit in the fermentor for a little longer, maybe swirl the fermentor to rouse the yeast. I think anything under 1.015 would be a great hefeweizen.
Good luck.

I too would bottle. Basically you have an easy drinking wheat session beer.

What ways did you mess up the mash? What were your ingredients and what was your mashing procedure?

I think I didn't crack the grain properly having looked into it further, mash temp was good, but also my sparge technique probably wasn't as thorough as could be.

Back